Who are we?
Women with Disabilities Victoria (WDV) is the peak body of women with disabilities in Victoria.
What do we do?
Women with Disabilities Victoria:
- Provides systemic support, advocacy and resources to women with disabilities in leadership roles
- Works with community services and organisations to ensure they are inclusive of women with disabilities
- Ensures services for people with disabilities consider a gender perspective that is responsive to women with disabilities
- Works in partnership with other disability and women’s organisaitons
- Encourages and undertakes research on issues affecting women with disabilities
- Provides a voice for women with disabilities to influence government policy and legislation
WDV does not provide direct advocacy representation or assistance to individuals. Should you need assistance with personal circumstances, we encourage you to first contact WIRE (Women’s Information and Referral Exchange Inc.). WIRE are the only Victoria-wide free generalist information, support and referral service run by women for women.They have a wide ranging database of services to which they can refer women needing support. Please visit the WIRE website, Ph: 1300 134 130 or E: email@example.com.
Our Vision, Mission and Values
We are an organisation of women with disabilities in Victoria with a diverse and growing membership. Our members have a range of disabilities, backgrounds, lifestyles and ages.Our Vision, Our Mission, Our Values and Our Approach
A world where all women are respected and can fully experience life.
To advance real social and economic inclusion for women with disabilities in Victoria, we will:
- Be a voice for women with disabilities
- Create opportunities for women with disabilities to be visible and to be heard in their communities
- Build partnerships to deliver the best results for women with disabilities
- Engage the community to challenge attitudes and myths about women with disabilities.
Our values uphold human rights and social justice.
- Equal Opportunity
- Work with our members’ experiences as women with disabilities
- Provide specialist policy advice and representation to government
- Create opportunities for women with disabilities to realise their leadership and advocacy potential
- Adopt a collaborative approach to government and community organisations
- Build the evidence base to develop and share knowledge and resources to inform best practice
- Monitor our work and report on outcomes.
Our Goals and Priorities
Women with Disabilities Victoria (WDV) is an organisation of women with disabilities for women with disabilities.
WDV recognises that women with disabilities are among the most marginalised in our community and empowers women with disabilities to achieve their rights in Victoria.
We focus on those areas where gender inequity and/or disability have the biggest impact on the capacity of women with disabilities to be respected and to fully experience life.Our Goals, Our Priorities and Our Enablers
- Influence policy: Influence government and the community to recognize and remove barriers to full participation by women with disabilities
- Empower women: Engage and empower women with disabilities to lead and influence their communities
- Influence services: Educate and build the capacity of service systems and organisations to be accessible to women with disabilities.
- Violence: Prevent and respond to violence and abuse against women with disabilities
- NDIS: Work to make the NDIS relevant and responsive to women with disabilities and empower women to engage with the new system
- Health: Promote access to health services for women with disabilities.
In focusing on our priority areas, we will respond to the social determinants of health for women with disabilities, promoting access to housing and employment for women with disabilities through our representation and policy work.
Guided by our members, we will wherever possible respond to new and emerging issues to stay relevant and reflect the concerns of women with disabilities.
- Members: Build and support our membership base.
- Organisation: Ensure Women with Disabilities Victoria is a strong, vibrant and sustainable organisation
- Relationships: Raise and maintain the profile of Women with Disabilities Victoria to share knowledge with key stakeholders and communities.
Our Strategic Plan 2017-20
Our 3 year plan is available to view or download in the formats below: